Wood Care Guide
Wood is a beautiful natural material with unique properties. Each piece will have a slightly different grain & pattern. Variation in colour, shading & grain can occur. This is a normal feature of all natural, solid wood. The painted furniture is solid mahogany and is hand painted. Please allow “artistic licence” with the paint finish.
Expansion and Timber Movement
All solid timber will display movement from season to season due to changes in the atmospheric temperature & humidity. This may occasionally make moving parts a little stiff. (Use candle wax on stiff drawers) We do not recommend locating products in excessively high or low temperatures or where the environment is damp as this may cause product issues.
It is essential that your furniture is positioned on a level surface to ensure that doors hang correctly & open smoothly. If placing on carpets, you may need to wedge the cupboard for a few days to allow the carpets to compress.
Sunlight and Heat
Direct sunlight will cause the colour of the wood to change, even if it is painted. Leaving items such as vases or ornaments may cause slight variations when moved. (Such marks should blend with time).
Maintenance and Care
- To maintain the appearance of your furniture we recommend regular dusting with a soft cloth. It may occasionally be wiped with a soft cloth very lightly dampened with a mild detergent solution and dried with a lint-free cloth.
- A beeswax furniture polish from a reputable supplier may also be used very sparingly.
- The repeated use of a silicone-containing polish is not recommended, as it will lead to a build -up of a silicone film altering the appearance of the piece.
- All un-painted wood has an open grain. Please ensure that you protect it from liquids especially red wine & oils. The look and feel is what drew you to the product which is natural and organic.
- Spills should be removed immediately by blotting with a dry cloth.
Synthetic Rattan Care Guide
All weather synthetic rattan is weather proof and UV resistant. Light soils may be removed with a soft cloth, mild detergent and water, rinsed with clean water and dried.
The frame is made of aluminium which is powder coated.
VELVET HOME & LIVING has carefully selected this material / weave which is manufactured in Indonesia.
Although the cushions are anti-mildew and UV Protected, they must not be left in the rain
Features of synthetic wicker:
- UV and weather resistant
- Non toxic and 100% recyclable
- Natural looking and feel and texture
- Strong and durable
VELVET HOME & LIVING warrants that under normal use and proper care, our products are free from defects of cracking, peeling and breaking for ONE year from date of delivery.
The warranty above does not cover failure or damage caused by improper applications, unreasonable use or abusive use which is beyond our control; or cost associated with the replacement of the fabric, including labour and installation.
VELVET HOME & LIVING also warrants that under normal use and proper handling, the product has no significant colour fading within 1 year of outdoor use from date of delivery.
Should the furniture fail structurally (i.e. broken frame) or fade excessively within one year from the date of purchase, we will at our discretion, replace if available or in a similar colour and style if the original has been discontinued. Components such as chair levellers are subject to wear and tear and are not considered part of the frame.
|Type of Test||Value||Unit||Test Method|
|Normal Density||950 - 955||Kg/m²||ISO 1183 Method D|
|Vicat softening point||120 - 130||°C||ASTM D-1525-00|
|Melting point||130 -135||°C||ISO 3146 Method C|
|Elongation at break||50 - 500||%||ISO/R 527 Speed C|
|Tensile Strength at Yield||42||Mpa||ASTM D638|
|Charpy Impact Strength||9 - 12||Kg/m²||ISO 179 Type 1 Noched A|
|Glossiness||82||%||JIS K 7105|
The synthetic weave has been checked by a certified laboratory, using international standards JIS, ISO and ASTM.
Light Stability Performance
Colour change L*a*b* (JIS K 7105)
Standard colour measurement widely used today is recommended by:
CIE (Commission Internationale de I'Eclairage ) named by CIElab system, donated in L* , a* , and b*
|Type of Test||Result|
|FTIR||FTIR spectrum of sample is completely the same to FTIR of Poly(ethylene), high density ( ASTM E 1252-98 )|
|Colour difference||L* -81.8 a* 4.0 b* 3.5 Colour Coordinate CIELAB system ( JIS K 7105 )|
Sofa & Armchair Care Guide
All upholstery fabrics can be affected by light, so we recommend that you position your couches/chairs away from direct sunlight and heat to protect it from fading and premature wear.
Upholstered furniture is warranted for a period of 2 years from date of invoice in respect of the frame, craftsmanship and filling. It is not advisable to sit on the arms of the Sofa/chair as the support structure is not designed for extra weight. The warranty does not extend to the fabric or leather used to upholster the product as upholstery is subject to wear and tear associated with use. Furthermore, usage and treatment in the customer's environment is beyond our control. The fabric composition is 100% Linen or a Linen/ Cotton blend and is Dry clean only.
Seat Cushions Interiors and Covers
The sofa you have purchased is filled with foam and genuine duck feathers which is a luxury filling. The casing is down -proof to prevent the feathers from escaping. The down-proofing is channelled to prevent the feathers from shifting and forming lumps. Remember the sofa will always have a slightly squishy appearance (this is what gives it that gorgeous marshmallow look). To preserve the appearance of your furniture and to prevent feather filled cushions from flattening, please follow these two simple steps:
Cushions should be plumped by beating vigorously on each edge at least once a week... just like you do with your pillows. The more often this is carried out, the better the filling will perform.
Reversible cushions should be swapped around and turned where possible to ensure equal wear. One of the reasons why feathers go flat is because they absorb moisture from the air. Periodically spin them in the tumble drier on cold cycle to fluff them up again.
- Clean co-ordinated items at the same time.
- To remove everyday household dust and dirt, clean regularly by gently vacuuming fabric. Even though you can't see it dust settles into your cushion. As we sit on a dusty cushion, the dust gets down into the fibres & acts like sandpaper causing the fabric to wear more quickly.
- Remove all spills immediately. Blot liquid spills with a clean dry cloth & work towards the centre of the spill. Don't rub or use abrasive cleaners as this may damage the fabric.
- When using chemicals, always check the colour-fastness of the fabric on an unobtrusive patch or hidden area.
- Never use bleach
- A plain synthetic sponge removes a lot of dust and grime easily.
- Cleaning benzene removes most common stains. Saturate a white cloth and wipe gently. Don't allow it to soak in- just gentle wiping and dabbing should do the trick. As benzene is alcohol based it will evaporate quickly.